Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Church


Leaving our Wednessday night activities tonight, Jennifer said something that brought tears to my eyes. A little history before revealing the comment she said. "Church" in Ghana is totally different than any church I have ever been to in America. In Ghana people worship God with their entire being. I have described their worship as reckless abandonment. They pour every ounce of their energy into praising God and laying their lives before him as they worship. Church lasts 3-4 hours, and when it is over you are amazed at how long you have been there. All that to say, many worship services here in America are filled with people who look like they are attending a funeral rather than coming to worship. Jennifer is used to signing, dancing and loving church. I love our church, however it is very different than a Ghanian church. And to be quite honest I have felt a little sorry for Jennifer having to leave her familiar style of worship for something that is quite different. Tonight when pulling out of the parking lot she said "Mommy, I love our church!" This 'approval' statement means the world to me. NorthHaven is indeed a special place. I feel very honored to be a part of a church that is such a welcoming, genuine, missional congregation that is led by servant leadership. 
Currently there is a group from our church in the midst of flying to Kenya, Africa to distribute mosquito nets to prevent the deadly disease of malaria. Please join me in praying for this group as they serve the people of Kenya.
If you want to learn a bit more about this 'loved' church visit www.northhavenchurch.net

2 comments:

Liz said...

Its wonderful she is adjusting so well - truly a blessing or all of you.

Anonymous said...

This is great. I miss your updates. I always look, even if I don't comment. Hope everyone is doing well, I'm sure the good outweighs the challanges for all of you. Happy Valentines.
Love,
Aunt Melba