Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Dad and his Daughters


A post by Tony:
It is funny that my wife drug her feet on starting a blog, she just didn’t think she would have the time.  Honestly, I figured I would be the one who would have to take up a certain amount of the blogging but oh how I was wrong.  Needless to say she has done a good job of letting the world know how we are doing, so this is actually my first time at blogging. 

It is every Daddy’s dream to watch his children grow up and be happy, but it is also one of the saddest thoughts a Dad can have.  When it comes to Kade I look forward to watching the man he is becoming, I truly am proud of him.  His heart and soul are amazing, his manners impeccable (most of the time) and his compassion is real.  That is the difference between sons and daughters (at least for me), I have no reservations about Kade becoming a man but when it comes to my three daughters growing up Daddy actually struggles with that thought quite a bit. 

I realized just how fast my girls are growing up the other day.  I had my baby girl for lunch last Monday and the sky was the limit, Dad would go wherever she wanted to go.  Just my luck she decided to test me to see if I was serious and chose Fancy That.  It is what I call a Foo-Foo place, one which my wife has gotten me to go to once.  Well, Madison just had to ask one time and we were on our way. 

As we sat there enjoying our lunch amidst all the art, flowers, and soft music I looked up at my daughter and had a premonition.  She sat across from me enjoying her second (Dad’s) cookie, swinging her feet and smiling in only the way Madison can smile.  I felt a sudden bolt of joy.  I pictured the same instance in about 16-20 years.  My baby girl as a young women back in town and her dear old Dad asking to take her to lunch, her choice of course.  Having a pleasant conversation over lunch, hearing about her life, joys and concerns, and then what every Dad hopes and dreads, a boy.  Being told that “he’s the one daddy”.  Every dad of little girls can understand, it’s hard to be replaced as the “man” in your little girl’s life.  All I can say is- he better be perfect or he may not like his father-in-law, my girls will always be my baby girls, no matter how old they are.

JJ laughed when I told her this story.  It is true that every dad wants his little girls to grow up and meet the perfect man but THERE is no man good enough for my little girls, at least not that I have met.   I am sure that when the time is right and my girls look me in the eye love struck, happy, giddy, and smiling I will accept the young man who has won my daughters’ heart.  Until that day daddy continues to be the only man on this earth that holds his little girls’ hearts.  

5 comments:

Lisa Laxton said...

Awwww...Tony! You made me tear up! For your very first post ever...you did really good! I am proud of you Dad! I have to go blow my nose now...

Anonymous said...

Great post Tony, it made me teary eyed too. I can see sweet Madison sitting across from you with her sweet smile. Scary to think about how fast they do grow up. I bet the girls pick great guys, they have to size up to Dad, you know.
Aunt Melba

Liz said...

Awesome post Tony they will find the right guy just like their Mama did!

Anonymous said...

Consider your self lucky. I'm already down to number 3 in Mamie Grace's list of 7 (yes, seven) boyfriends. Your son, in particular, outranks me.

Mom to Four said...

ha ha ha Josh :) well at least if he stays in the ranking you will be happy with her pick, especially the in-laws. Miss you guys-thanks for reading.