Monday, November 8, 2010

From Reading Other Blogs....

Sometimes I laugh, other times I cry, at times I would like to scream at my computer scream, I am often encouraged, I am challenged, I get great ideas....but perhaps the best feeling I 'get' from reading blogs is the feeling that I am not alone in this parenting journey of trying to balance life for all my children. A feeling that there are others who are struggling to be the very best mom to each and every child who calls them Mom. The following is an excerpt passed along to me from a friend who, thankfully, shares her 'finds' in blogs with me :-) Hopefully these words, written by a mother of a special needs child, will offer encouragement to you or make you think twice before you pass judgement on someone.....

She also has a brain that just malfunctions sometimes. When you see us in the store and she is in total meltdown don't give me nasty looks. Don't tell me that all she needs is a little discipline....
When I am out in public don't tell me I am "too hard" on her, that she is "just a kid." She is not just a kid. She needs boundaries at all times. Yes, I parent my children differently. My boys had the privilege of a healthy start in life. Their brains are healthy and normal. I don't love her less because I am stricter with her. I love her enough to parent her in the way that is best for her. Even if it goes against my normal style of parenting.
Have some patience with us in public. Don't assume you know a situation. Maybe when you see a Mom with a kid in total meltdown in public, instead of judging, give her a smile. It may make her day! It may give her the strength to keep helping her child grow to be her best!

You don't have to understand why a parent is parenting their children differently, just know that in most cases it is WAY HARDER to do so, but we choose to because every child deserves to be parented in the very best way for them. So offer a smile instead of a glare of judgement, it might just be the very thing that parent needs to get thru the moment.

No comments: