Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Frustration...

Nothing fun about this blog, just a bit of reality and a glimpse into our last week. (and I guess a little venting) A few of the sayings that I am tired of saying, so I know the kids must be REALLY tired of hearing:
  • Listen and Obey
  • Listen to my words....I said...
  • What did I ask you to do...what did you choose to do?
  • Is that being kind and respectful?
  • Are you treating your siblings the way you would like to be treated?
  • It is not OK to speak like that
  • Are you telling me the truth?
  • If I ask the teacher, will I get the same answer?
  • Do you like the way you are behaving?
Needless to say there have been a lot of undesirable behaviors in our house this past week (and I know I am not exempt from that statement). School has brought some much needed routine to the week, along with a break from each other-both from siblings and from/for Mom, but unfortunately it has also brought anxiety and stress. We have had to move a bed into our playroom to separate the two older girls-we have decided not to convert the playroom into a true bedroom since we are in the works of starting to build our 'Someday' home (WOO HOO!!!) We think this is starting to solve a few of the issues in the house, just not at lightening speed.

The past 72 hours has about taken all the patience I have. Blessings to the sweet woman in the Chick-Fila line that complimented my parenting this evening, when inside I felt like screaming. I smiled and thanked her and said I didn't think my parenting was so great at the moment that it had been a long day and I was ready for bed but I appreciated her kind words. This sweet angel God sent my way responded with "Well I think you must be a wonderful parent then, to be at the end of you rope and still keeping it together." Wow-if only she could have been inside my head. Thank you God for this gentle sweet reminder. It added just enough patience to get me thru dinner. Unfortunately, soon after arriving home another lying issue arose, between two kiddos who are struggling a bit in this area. Total frustration, no patience, and no 'truth teller' to be had=two children who went to bed with no story and a disappointed mom tucking them in.

This has been a week that makes me say "God, evidently you think I am a whole lot stronger than I think I am.......please help, show me, give me the strength, allow me to see my children through your eyes, remind me yet again how much you love me when I disobey, am not kind, am not respectful, make bad choices-for I know you have every right to be frustrated with me-yet your love, affection, patience, sweet spirit and kind words are always available to me, you are unfailingly patient time and time again with me....help me to be the kind of parent you are."

I know compared to so many others situations, I have nothing to complain or be frustrated about. We are so richly blessed in so many ways. So after reading this please do not think I am not grateful nor do not love my children. I am human....I get frustrated.....I lose my patience.....I am selfish yet my Father never holds that against me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really okay and very normal to stress out sometimes. It is neat how when we most need it, God sends someone to say just what we need to hear, like the lady in line. That happens to me sometimes when I most need it. Hang in there, you are doing fine.
Love you.
Aunt Melba

Locketts said...

I love how real and raw this post is. Thank you. I'm jotting down your list of "sayings" to use at my new nannying gig, yikes. Can I get a large laminated copy of that Bang Head Here poster? Anyway, you're beautiful, and that's even more important than being patient, right?

Liz said...

You are Super Mom in my book I struggle with 2 (one is an adult) I cannot imagine 4 especially with them so close in age. Some nights I go to bed feeling like a complete failure I just hope in 20years I am laughing about it.

Mom to Four said...

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

Stacy said...

Not having kids, I can only imagine, but I do know that me and Rich have had many a conversation about parenting our children when your name comes up early in the conversation and we both think that if we can parent like you...we'll be great parents! I feel blessed to have been able to work within your ministry for the past year and I know just from interacting with you that you have a heart and passion for all kids, especially your little ones! Never a doubt in me about this!