Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Power of the Tongue

In the ladies bible study I am in, we are studying the power of the tongue, the weight of our words, and the power/control words have. It is truly amazing how many times the bible references our tongue, our speech, the power of words. Now I know this should not come as a shocker but when you spend weeks studying it, it is amazing. Truly amazing the power of our tongue and amount of scripture referring to it. God has given us a powerful tool, a weapon, we call it a tongue. We have the ability to lift others up, to encourage, to bring hope, to share God's grace and forgiveness, to build another up, and to be a breath of fresh air. We also have the power to discourage, to break, to destroy, to spread lies, to cause pain, to tear down, and to spread evil. It is our choice, every single time we open our mouths, we have the ability to choose to spread love or hate.

This week we looked at how pride, fear and anger are displayed/masked in so many ways. As we discussed/shared ways we see this in our life-personally, in our family, in our work place, etc. my mind stayed in 'parent mode'. The last 72 hours have been filled a bit too much with crazy RAD behavior in our house. All of the examples that were coming to my mind dealt with RAD-the effects on J, on our other kiddos, on our family. God has blessed me with a tongue-am I being a blessing to others with it? I definitely feel the Lord challenging me to take a closer look at the weight of my words, the power they have and how much thought I put into or the lack thereof.

1 comment:

Meg said...

great post...good reminders for us all. what an amazing mother you are!