Thursday, April 8, 2010

Profound Words

Sometimes it amazes me, how many times I have to be given the same message to 'clue in'. Thankfully God just keeps sending messengers my way to drive a message home. There are a couple of people in my life who are able to see when they look at me or hear it in my voice that I am struggling. A simple "I am praying for you" without having to share what's on my heart, means so much to me and reminds me that God has surrounded me with His love. This week there have been several messengers as God is teaching me something, or trying to if only I would be a willing student. I would like to share a bit about two of the 'messengers'. One is a friend who is so incredibly encouraging, offering support, laughter, mini-escapes, loving corrections, always willing to listen, so much fun just to 'be' with and has truly come along side me in this parenting journey as adoption has changed that path. The wise words she shared with me this time (after she had listened to me purge about a rough day)...let's pray that "God will make the best choice the desire of your heart". What wise words! As I shared with her about struggling with a parenting decision, she didn't tell me one way was right/wrong, she didn't try and fix the issue, she didn't even tell me I was crazy :-) She simply said I will pray for confidence and wisdom about the decision and ask for God to make the correct choice the desire of you heart. If you are a parent, you know that some times it just stinks (at least if you are honest). Yes parenting is very rewarding, full of joys and precious times that I feel like I could not live without.....but other times are simply rough, hard and/or painful. What wise words to have been blessed with by a friend during a time of struggle. What are the desires of my heart?

Another messenger was a songwriter. Ever been driving along in the car when the words to a song simply floor you, cause tears to come to your eyes, cause you to go to the Lord right then?
I wish I was smart enough to link the song here for you, but I am not. However, I can share with you the lyrics that hit me head on and caused me to buy the song and listen to it a 100 times.

You know far better than I
And if destruction's what I need
Then I'll receive it Lord from Thee
Yes, I'll receive it Lord from Thee
And it's your eye in the storm
Watching over me
And it's your eye in the storm
Wanting only good for me
And if you are the war
Let me be the casualty
'Till I'm yours alone
I am only yours
I am yours alone. Lord

Hard to ask for, hard to long for.....is it really my desire receive destruction? Indeed when there is less of me there is more Him. Yet, is war and destruction in my life the only way I 'get it'...guess so. Guess when I am plugging along trying to do it all myself-solve all the problems, carry the load, be the 'wisdom' for the situation, fight the battles.....I get in the way. I long to truly receive the destruction as a gift, not as a hinderance.

So thankful for messengers who share God's word with me.

*This morning this verse was part of the devotion I was reading during my quiet time
"Dear...sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow." James 1:2-3 (NLT)
Guess I am still in need of a few more messengers, guess I am a bit hard headed....shocker I know to those of you who know me ;-)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I understand and I will pray for you right now!

Mom to Four said...

Thank you Kristin! So blessed to have 'connected', honored to know you are praying, love praying for you and yours :-)

Anonymous said...

There is no question about your faith...its the endurance part that is hard as you weather the daily emotional rollercoaster..surround yourself with friends, family, they will cover you in prayer and lift you up. Its a tough job but God selected you to show her the way...its her life story its your endurance test!! Rhonda

Mom to Four said...

I like that thought.....we have been selected.......our endurance test.....thanks for your ever constant encouragement.